Baddha Konasana is carried out by tucking both the feet near the groin. The feet are supported by hands tied around them. A specified angle is observed in the feet. So the name Baddha Konasana, meaning Specified angle pose.
Baddha Konasana gets its name Butterfly pose since the thighs are flapped like the butterfly wings. It is also called a Cobbler pose; it resembles the way cobbler sits while working. Many Yoga experts and Baba Ramdev recommend this Yoga Pose for weight loss.
Steps to perform Baddha Konasana:
- Step – 1 Sit with an erect spine and spread your legs straight out.
- Step – 2 Bring your feet near your pelvis. Make sure your feet sole touch with each other.
- Step – 3 Support your feet by placing your hands beneath your feet. Hold your feet tightly.
- Try to bring your heels as close as possible.
- Take a deep breath. Push your feet downward gently as you exhale.
- Now start flipping your thighs slowly. Breathe normally. Gradually increase the speed and flip your thighs like a butterfly.
- Slowly stop flapping. Take deep breathes in and out.
- Feel the stretch in the thigh muscles.
- Now release the posture while exhaling.
- Step 4 – Straighten your legs forward and then relax.
Benefits of Baddha Konasana
- A good stretching exercise for thighs.
- Very helpful for menstrual pain and menopause discomfort.
- Improves intestine health and metabolism.
- Good as pregnancy exercise for smooth delivery.