This pose looks like a serpent. Hence the name Bhujangasana, meaning Cobra pose. This is the pose from the sequence of Padmasana and the Surya Namaskar or the Sun Salutation. It is good for back pain relief. This is included in our list of weight loss yoga poses.
Steps to perform Bhujangasana:
- Step – 1 Lie on your stomach. Keep your legs flattened and forehead on the floor.
- Step – 2 Keep your legs together. Touch your heels and feet together.
- Step – 3 Place your palms near your shoulder and elbow parallel to the floor.
- Now, taking a deep breath in, lift your head, chest, and abdomen. Keep your navel on the floor.
- Pull yourself back with the help of your hands placed on the floor.
- Make sure you are putting equal pressure on both the palms.
- Keep breathing.
- Bend your back as much as possible by making your hands straight. Tilt your head back and look up.
- Keep your feet together.
- Breathing out, get down slowly. Bring your head, stomach, chest to the normal position.
- Repeat this for a minimum of 3-5 times.
Benefits of Bhujangasana
- Good for shoulder and neck
- Strengthens core. Push the belly in.
- Improves flexibility in the back.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Widen the chest.
- Useful for Asthama Patients.